Following NINETEEN statements I have quoted from footnote of aphorism 11, ORGANON MEDICINE, by Dr Samuel Hahnemann. He was trying to explain his concept of DYNAMIC ENERGY, which he utilises to construct the theoretical foundation of homeopathy.
Please read these statements carefully. If you are a person with minimum secondary school level scientific knowledge and a scientific temper arising therefrom, you can never resist laughing at homeopathy. Even if you are a great fan of homeopathy, it will be impossible for you to defend all these nonsense ideas put forward by Hahnemann in these statements.
Please read the quoted statements:
- “Our earth, by virtue of a hidden invisible energy, carries the moon around her”
- “moon raises our northern seas to flood tide and again correspondingly lowers them to ebb by a hidden invisible energy”
- “we see numerous other events about us as results of the action of one substance on another substance without being able to recognize a sensible connection between cause and effect.”
- “calls such effects dynamic, virtual, that is, such as result from absolute, specific, pure energy and action of the one substance upon the other substance.”
- “For instance, the dynamic effect of the sick-making influences upon healthy man, as well as the dynamic energy of the medicines upon the principle of life in the restoration of health is nothing else than infection and so not in any way material, not in any way mechanical. “
- “the energy of a magnet attracting a piece of iron or steel is not material, not mechanical.”
- “the piece of iron is attracted by one pole of the magnet, but how it is done is not seen.”
- “The magnet draws to itself and this acts upon the piece of iron or upon a steel needle by means of a purely immaterial invisible, conceptual, inherent energy, that is, dynamically, and communicates to the steel needle the magnetic energy equally invisibly (dynamically).”
- “a child with small-pox or measles communicates to a near, untouched healthy child in an invisible manner (dynamically) the small-pox or measles, that is, infects it at a distance without anything material from the infective child going or capable of going to the one to be infected. A purely specific conceptual influence communicated to the near child small-pox or measles in the same way as the magnet communicated to the near needle the magnetic property.”
- “Substances, which are used as medicines, are medicines only in so far as they possess each its own specific energy to alter the well-being of man through dynamic, conceptual influence, by means of the living sensory fibre, upon the conceptual controlling principle of life “
- “The medicinal property of those material substances which we call medicines proper, relates only to their energy to call out alterations in the well-being of animal life.”
- “Only upon this conceptual principle of life, depends their medicinal health-altering, conceptual (dynamic) influence, just as the nearness of a magnetic pole can communicate only magnetic energy to the steel, namely, by a kind of infection.”
- “every special medicinal substance alters through a kind of infection, that well-being of man in a peculiar manner exclusively its own and not in a manner peculiar to another medicine, as certainly as the nearness of the child ill with small-pox will communicate to a healthy child only small-pox and not measles. “
- “These medicines act upon our well-being wholly without communication of material parts of the medicinal substances, thus dynamically, as if through infection”
- “That smallest dose can therefore contain almost entirely only the pure, freely-developed, conceptual medicinal energy, and bring about only dynamically such great effects as can never be reached by the crude medicinal substances itself taken in large doses”
- “It is not in the corporal atoms of these highly dynamized medicines, nor their physical or mathematical surfaces that the medicinal energy is found. “
- “there lies invisible in the moistened globule or in its solution, an unveiled, liberated, specific, medicinal force contained in the medicinal substance which acts dynamically by contact with the living animal fibre upon the whole organism (without communicating to it anything material however highly attenuated) and acts more strongly the more free and more immaterial the energy has become through the dynamization.”
- “If one looks upon something nauseous and becomes inclined to vomit, did a material emetic come into his stomach which compels him to this anti-peristaltic movement? Was it not solely the dynamic effect of the nauseating aspect upon his imagination?”
- “And if one raises his arm, does it occur through a material visible instrument? a lever? Is it not solely the conceptual dynamic energy of his will which raises it?”
As a “classical homeopath”, you may say all these ideas are MOST SCIENTIFIC! But for a person having at least a basic knowledge of SCIENCE will say these are UTTER NONSENSE, ideas which reflect the most primitive state of scientific knowledge available to Hahnemann during his period more than 200 years ago!
We should not hesitate to throw away this kind of unscientific ideas from the theoretical system of homeopathy, and update it in accordance with modern scientific knowledge. Please do not think that homeopathy will collapse if these pre-scientific concepts are removed. Homeopathy will become more stronger, scientific and acceptable!